Tips to Keep Your Flowers Lasting Longer
16th Jun 2020
We take pride in delivering the freshest, highest-quality flowers. Our florists are often asked how to keep them looking beautiful as long as possible. Luckily, just a little extra care can make a big difference.
Most arrangements will last from four to seven days or longer depending on the type of flowers included and the level of care they receive. Here are a few helpful tips for keeping those blossoms looking healthy and vibrant for you to enjoy.
- 1. Remove any leaves that will be below the waterline. Leaves in the water promote bacterial growth, which will cause the flowers to wilt quickly.
- 2. Using garden shears, cut the end of the stem off while holding it underwater. This allows the stems to draw in water instead of air. Make sure it’s a clean, diagonal cut, so the flowers can drink nutrients from the water easily.
- 3. Change dirty water regularly. Wash the vase and replace it with nice, clean water every other day. Giving the flowers a clean environment will keep them happy and ward off bacterial growth.
- 4. Avoid placing your flowers where heating or cooling vents can blow air on them. Areas directly under ceiling fans or on top of appliances that give off heat (like older televisions, radiators, etc.), will cause your flowers to dry out and wilt faster.
- 5. Place away from direct sunlight. It may seem counterintuitive, but your flowers will maintain their freshness much longer if they’re not overheated.
We value all the emotions flowers can make us feel – excited, sentimental, appreciated, loved. Help the feeling last longer by taking care of your arrangement and keeping it looking it’s freshest for days on end. Have other questions about your flowers? Feel free to contact us or call our professional florists at the shop, and we’re happy to pass along the information you need.